Is A Cattle Prod
The Way To
So you'd like to change your life forever? But don't know how a cattle prod could help? Or even what a cattle prod is? Rest assured, it's not the usual treatment prescribed for a life changing experience. It's actually a short length of steel with an electric charge running through it. When applied to the rumps of cattle it persuades them to do things they previously had no intention of doing. Not nice... but very effective. And very quick. And that, after all, is the result sought by most people with 'change lifestyle' on their minds.
The reality in the world today is that there are many people hoping to transform their lives. Wishing. Most people in the Western world are overweight, and the zap required to change it seems to be missing. Every year we just get fatter, and more indolent. Oh, some get obsessed with changing their lifestyle by dieting and losing weight, but others don't seem to care. And neither will achieve what they want.
That's right, they'll fail. Whether they try or not. Why? Probably because they don't really know what they want. They have either unrealistic expectations, or they have none. And they'll doom themselves to a life devoid of the good, the fun and the joy that vitality can bring.
Vitality comes from simple things - things like dropping the spare tire from your waist and the flab from other parts. The plain fact is that ridding yourself of even a few pounds can add enjoyable years to your life. The facts are clear: excess weight reduces stamina, it stresses joints, and it causes illnesses from heart disease to diabetes. And people who decide to start each day with the intention of eating better and exercising better are beginning to find life becoming much easier than they ever expected.
5 Steps to Change Your Life
These five steps are simple changes, but they can add up to a virtual cattle prod with the power to change your life:
1. Kick the day off with a glass of water. Water stimulates your entire body and the important systems that run it. It also reduces hunger, so if you drink several glasses a day you can minimize any food temptations that appear.
2. With your water aboard, eat your breakfast, preferably within an hour of getting out of bed. Brekky is the most important meal, and by skipping it, or leaving it until later, a lot of overweight people tend to over-eat when they eventually get around to sitting down for it.
3. Eat at least two pieces of fresh fruit each day - that's two pieces about the size of an apple, not two grapes! Fruit is a great source of nutrition and fiber. Try for at least two different fruits so you get a variety of benefits.
4. Eat at least five servings of vegetables a day, and try for one salad every day. When you feel the urge to snack, tackle a vegetable such as celery or carrot instead of biscuits.
5. Sweets and fried foods are sometimes-food at best. No matter what you do to them, they are still loaded with fat and calories.
Try This Life Changing Habit
So it's really just a matter of changing a few habits. Yes, I know, easier said than done! But try this: start keeping a food diary. Write down what you eat when you eat it - and check the result at the end of the day. You may be shocked! It's often just the incentive to get back on track!
The other factor, of course, is the energy you use. It's a two-way street, and you need to keep it in balance. In fact, you need to output more energy than you take in if you actually want to reduce you weight. So get some advice on this, and set yourself long-term, achievable goals. Baby steps, like we did above. Start by including at least 150 minutes of exercise into your week if you can. Use full-on gym if you can handle it, but don't rush. Start by walking instead of driving, bike riding instead of bus riding, and climbing the stairs whenever possible. As you go through your day you'll probably be able to find a lot of ways of helping your physical self towards the health you want.
So do you really need a cattle prod to force you to change your life? If you're a masochist, perhaps. But for the rest of us, the most important step is to decide to avoid the traditional prods like heart attacks and strokes, and take the easy road while there's still time. Decide, then work out a simple plan of little steps ... and then enjoy the journey back to vitality.