How to lose fat becomes a priority. Summer is fat attack time. Low fat recipes rule. People begin to obsess about getting rid of fat, particularly stomach fat. It's simply that time when everyone wants to look impressive in their "lack" of clothing. While I can't promise that you'll achieve a model fitness body, I can give you some simple but important clues on how to lose fat and get that body fat monitor scale down.
Listen up! Behavioral changes guarantee your success - not knowledge alone.
You may already have measured your body fat, detailed your nutritional plan, your low fat recipes, and your workouts, so take that strategy and ACT on it. Stay motivated and consistently remind yourself of your goal to lose belly fat in particular or lose body fat in general.
Here are 11 fundamentals to start getting rid of fat:
1. Reduce the simple carbs. Unfortunately, society is a "carb junkie" - particularly overweight individuals, because their bodies struggle with insulin sensitivity. Our body needs carbohydrates, but we have to reverse the ratio of simple carbs (high glycemic) to complex carbs (low glycemic). The key is to cut total sugar intake. Having a positive ratio of complex to simple carbs will allow your body to regulate blood sugar levels, burn more fat as fuel, and ultimately lose more weight.
2. Eat smaller meals more often. Eating smaller feeds every 3-4 hours prevents your blood sugar levels from spiking dramatically throughout the day. This helps your hormones stay in check, while regulating hunger as well. Ultimately, it helps elevate metabolism, it's easier on your digestive system, and it can eventually provide you with more energy throughout the day.
3. Eat more functional fats. Essential fatty acids, such as omega-6 and omega-3 consumed in appropriate ratios of 2:1 - or even better 1:1 - allows your body to regulate its hormones, reduce inflammation, and stabilize blood sugar levels. This eventually leads to greater fat loss. So suck it up, and buy fish and flax oils from your local health food store.
4. Drink water. Water is often overlooked, but without it, your body will not survive. Staying hydrated helps digestion, curbs your appetite, and flushes our metabolic waste. Make sure you drink at least 64 oz a day.
5. Increase your fiber intake. This nutrient keeps food moving along your gastrointestinal tract, and like water, it helps to flush metabolic waste. It also helps to maintain consistent energy levels and slow the rate of carbohydrate digestion. Result: stabilized blood sugar levels.
6. Abstain from alcohol. Alcohol negatively affects testosterone for men and can lead directly to fat gain. It has a whopping nutrition-empty 7 calories per gram, and it takes precedence over fat metabolism. Alcohol actually shuts down the fat burning mechanism for up to 48 hours, so avoid it as much as possible.
7. Spicy up your life. Including a variety of spices in your foods - such as curry, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and certain herbs - can also boost your metabolism and help stabilize blood sugar levels.
8. Combine weight training with your cardio workout. Aerobic activity may burn a great deal of fat, especially when maintained at a high intensity, but you'll enjoy even more success by combining it with resistance training. This is because proper resistance training stresses all of your muscles fiber types (Type 1 and Type 2). When you stress your muscles effectively, you either maintain and strengthen your current muscle mass or you gain some. For every pound of muscle you gain it equates to 50 extra calories you can burn per day. So remember to hit the weights at least three times a week along with your cardio.
9. Eat slower. Few people sit down and have a nice relaxing meal nowadays, so deliberately slowing down the pace at which we eat prevents compulsive overeating and helps with digestion. It takes at least 20 minutes between the time you're full and when your brain actually realizes it. Slowing your eating will also allow you to enjoy your meal.
10. Watch out for food allergies. Many people are allergic to dairy and wheat products, but that doesn't necessarily mean you break out in spots. Being sensitive to those two food categories can simply make you fat - particularly if you're eating a diet high in refined foods. This causes digestive problems such as bloating, stomach pain, and water retention. If you're not sure if this could be affecting you, you may want to consider an allergy test.
11. Make sure you get your antioxidants. Getting your daily dose of antioxidants from either a good multi-vitamin, a specific antioxidant supplement combination, or even a healthy combination of fruits and vegetables is important for combating toxins held in fat cells. Antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, E, polyphenols in green tea, etc. help your body reduce the time that toxins stay in your system.
So there they are - 11 tips to help you lose belly fat or body fat, and achieve a healthier and leaner physique. It's never too late to learn how to lose fat. Break out the low fat recipes, have fun and enjoy the summer as you happily get rid of fat!